Saturday, December 03, 2011

Walls of cheese, salume, and cupcakes: Report on Loblaws @ Maple Leaf Gardens

Walls of cheese, salume, and cupcakes: Report on Loblaws @ Maple Leaf Gardens

See my first post here

The reaction (amongst anyone I have asked) to Loblaws placing their banner over the old mecca of hockey, Maple Leaf Gardens, is mixed. From the extreme hockey fanatic on one end to the grocery devoted on the other (that's me!). For example,

 "I just can't do it. It would break my heart to go there and see Loblaws on the Gardens."
"Cool!"
"I hear there's a wall of cheese. Many people I know went to see it."
"Maybe I'll check it out"
"When's Ryerson opening?"

I went to check out Loblaws @ 830am, the day after the grand opening. It was lonely in there. At that time of the day, with no free giveaways, the staff to customer ratio was about 40:1. Perfect to take a good look at the displays, not so perfect to not be noticed snapping pictures.

Initial impression:  Grab a "map" and be amazed.  I was like a big kid in a giant candy store.  There's a set of escalators that take you to the LCBO on site, Loblaws Cooking School, and a Joe Fresh department.




Loblaws Maple Leaf Gardens Map

Once past the front foyer, you hit the canteen of Loblaws @ Maple Leaf Gardens.  If you've been to the recent Bonacini casual eateries, one of them aptly named "Canteen", then the Loblaws Canteen should appeal to you.  This is my new hangout.  It comes with free WIFI and absolutely great visuals!  Why sit at Starbucks with a cup of joe when you can be noshing on goodies surrounded by walls of food on 4 sides.

First Display:  Is that proscuitto?!  Oh my!  All those lovelies hanging in a glass case!  So I can sit in the canteen, WHILE blogging and staring at inspirational meat.  I like salume.  Nice.   North.  East.  South.  West. = Salume.  Sushi.  Meal.  Baguette.
ACE Bakery
Salume Case

First destination:  I had to take a good look at the infamous cheese wall at Loblaws @ Maple Leaf Gardens.  2 stories high, and soaring straight into heaven.  18 feet as advertised?  Check!

Cheese Wall.  Too big to take a proper picture quickly

I decided I could not rate the new Loblaws @ Maple Leaf Gardens on LOOKS alone.  To test the product variety at the new flagship store I chose a single product to seek out.  I was looking for short-grain glutinous rice, any size, at Loblaws @ Maple Leaf Gardens.  Sadly, they only have long-grain glutinous rice (2 sizes).  Fail.  Great selection, but missing the one thing I was looking for.  They did have a nice selection of Asian snacks, though.

Asian snacks

Second Destination:  Chocolate chiseled by the chunk.  Check!  This was one massive piece of chocolate.  The block was half gone, so I can only assume they gave away alot of samples during the grand opening, or "pre-chiseled" it for effect.  It kind of look like the Chocolate Rockies.

Chocolate Block.  Let me climb it!

On my way out  was hit by a LOVELY unexpected wall of cupcakes!  Literally, HUNDREDS of cupcakes!  I admit, I have never been a big fan of the overpriced cupcake fad.  But...if I was a little girl, I would beg my mother to take me here.  They ranged from $1.50 to $3.50 each. 

Cupcakes.  Lots and lots of cupcakes!

I never went to the Garden when they were a home to the Maple Leafs, but I made a special trip when it became Loblaws.  I was in a rush to get to work, but I promise you I will be back to Loblaws @ Maple Leaf Gardens.


0 comments: