Sunday, October 23, 2011

PC Black Label Bacon Marmalade


PC Black Label Bacon Marmalade (Sorry, it's been stretched)


Product Name:  PC Black Label Bacon Marmalade

Store Purchased:  Loblaws, various locations

Price:  FREE (retail $4.99CAD)

Ingredients:  SUGAR, WATER, ORANGE PEEL, SAUTÉED ONION (CONTAINS CANOLA OIL), BALSAMIC VINEGAR OF MODENA (GRAPE MUST, WINE VINEGAR, CARAMEL COLOUR, SULPHITES), ORANGE JUICE CONCENTRATE, BACON, RED WINE CONDIMENT (WINE VINEGAR, GRAPE MUST, CARAMEL COLOUR, SULPHITES), PECTIN, CITRIC ACID, BACON SEASONING (CONTAINS YEAST EXTRACT), SPICE, SALT.

Used for:  "GENEROUSLY SPREAD THIS MARMALADE ON TOAST, GRILLED MEAT, ON SANDWICH BREAD OR ATOP CRACKERS AND CHEESE."


FYI:  Bacon Marmalade even has its own website:  baconmarmalade.com.

Oh, bacon, how I love thee, even though the whole foodie world has had their way with you and knows your virtues.  Okay, so when President's Choice came out with BACON MARMALADE.  I had to try it!  It was even better that I received a coupon in the mail to get a free jar with a purchase of the PC Black Label 8-yr cheddar.  When I was checking out of the grocery store, this is the conversation I had with the clerk:

Her:  "This bacon thing is really popular."
Me:  "Really?  Is it any good?"
Her:  "No idea. No one's came back yet about it, and I would never buy it."
Me:  "Hmm. (that's a bad sign)"


First off, I was a bit disappointed by the first 5 ingredients.  The texture upon scooping is kind of funky.  It's very hard and chunky, in a bad way.  Have you ever thought of spreading a Jell-O cup onto anything?  No?  Well, neither have I, and this is exactly how it feels.  The taste is quite nice, if you do not think of it as a Bacon product.  With a dollop on a spoon and into my mouth, I taste sugar, then onion, then orange, then balsamic, with a smoky bacon finish.  I paired the marmalade with cheddar and ham baked into a croissant.


Given it's alot cheaper than buying a jar from Pusateri's, I still probably would not buy this product again.

TAG:  bacon, bacon marmalade, marmalade, president's choice, bacon jam, bacon dip, bacon recipe, canadian bacon, cooking with bacon

0 comments: