Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Delrose Basmati Rice




Product Name: Delrose Aromatic Basmati Rice

Store Purchased: Loblaws, various locations

Price: 5.79 for 2kg bag

Review: DO NOT BUY THIS! This is by far the worst rice I have ever purchased in my life. I decided to try out a new rice today when I was wandering the grocery aisles of the Bayview Village Loblaws. (I know, I know, why am I buying basmati at Loblaws when there is perfectly GREAT rice in persian grocers on Yonge?) I really wanted to know how American basmati could compare to Patna and Pakistani basmatis, since most Japanese rice comes from the US. If you look at the above photo, you can clearly see grass, pebbles and molding rice. This is not a good sign. I was able to get this much with one fistful off the top. I finally understand my grandmother's old stories about "picking through rice" before cooking it. The fragrance of the rice does not even smell like basmati, but more like Jasmine. Also, not all the (minus the molding ones) grains are white, which would only be fine if I had bought brown basmati rice. I did not even try to cook some of this up to taste. I will be returning it tomorrow to Loblaws, and going up the street to buy some basmati at ASY market. This brand also makes a variety of other "gourmet rices", but it is suffice to say I will not be trying them.



Delrose packaging plug: "Delrose Aromatic American Basmati White Rice is milled to perfection in small batches, producing an American long grain rice with popcorn-like aroma of Asian basmati rice. The high quality rice is smooth and even in texture..."

AVOID AVOID AVOID!

On the plus side, I was able to find ammonium bicarbonate on the shelves of Loblaws - Bayview Village for 99 cents a bottle. This stuff is hard to find if you are not a professional baker, but it is required to make alot of Asian bakery products.

6 comments:

73you are right on the money. I bought Delrose Gourmet Rice, Italian Style Arborio, Perfect Risotto Rice and when I poured it out into our clear plastic storage container, it had dead, dry brown bugs distributed through it. When I tried to go to the website, www.delroserice.com, the website had shut down. The 1-800 number didn't work anymore either.

I agree - avoid this brand. We could have been ingesting insects if we hadn't checked.

PW

I agree - I bought the Delrose Gourmet Rice, Italian style, arborio perfect risotto rice, and when we transferred it to clear plastic container, it contained many dead, brown bugs. The website has been disabled and the 1-800 number does not work. Avoid, avoid this brand

Totally agree, this rice is garbage. I purchased the brown basmati at Loblaws and after cooking it for twice as long as suggested the rice was still rock hard. Obviously ancient. Loblaws should be ashamed for selling this rice, the Company website doesn't even exist any longer!

Thank you for another greet post. Keep up the good work.

I was wondering where all the Moths in my house were coming from. I searched everywhere. Funny thing...I started putting my rice in a clear plastic container and discovered (much to my horror) that there were lots of Moth Larvae crawling up the side of the container.....Ewwwwwwwwww. I have had no luck contacting the company but am now Moth Free....