Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Coconut Pastil (Chewy candy)


coconut candy
Originally uploaded by swee_tmaba.

Product Name:
Coconut Pastil (Chewy coconut and peanut candy) 90g

Store Purchased: Asian Farm. 247 Spadina Ave, Toronto, ON

Price: $0.79 CDN

Ingredients: Coconut, peanuts, maltose, sugar

Used For: Snack, candy

Review: I had the write this up ASAP. My boyfriend is so addicted to these that a package of them would be gone in seconds if I don't keep them out of sight. This is by far the BEST soft peanut candies I have had, outside of fresh, handmade ones. You just cannot beat the price for 79 cents for 6 pieces! Each individual candy piece is covered in edible rice paper (it is similar to the rice paper used to make vietnamese spring rolls, but MUCH, MUCH thinner). For those who have eaten "rabbit candy", you will be accustomed to this. It is an environmentally-friendly way to package individual pieces of candy and keep the sugar off your hands! If I were to liken it to a western item, it would be an asian version of soft nougat, but BETTER. This company also makes a version with peanuts only and sesame/peanuts. I am sure you could find this at any number of asian grocery stores, but the packages at Asian Farm are fresh and they are OPEN 24HRS, so the 2AM grocery goblin has easy access to it.

Interesting facts: There is a website on the packaging: www.an-le.com; but oddly enough, this company makes stainless steel products. I'm guessing it is a weird joint venture.

If you put all these ingredients together in a different way, you get dragon beard candy! To learn about and purchase dragon beard candy outside of special events, go to www.yuzumura.com. At $28 US a box, I think I'm content with this coconut pastil =).

0 comments: