Friday, October 07, 2011

Tilda Basmati Rice


Product Name: Tilda Basmati Rice, 10lb

Store Purchased:
Asy Market, 5455 Yonge St, Toronto, ON

Price: $12.99 CDN

Review: After returning that dreadful Delrose basmati, I went to Asy's Market today to buy some Tilda. They do not sell any bags smaller than 10lb, so I will have alot of rice to eat in the next few months. (At any given time in my household, there is at least 4 bags of rice. Now, I have jasmine, calrose, basmati, short glutinous, long glutinous, brown rice, and wild rice in my cupboards. All of them in 5lb bags or bigger.) Tilda is a one of the more expensive basmati brands, but not without reason. Every white grain is perfect, slim, and long. A handful of this rice wafts up beautiful basmati aroma. I also love the little zipper to open and close the bag. It is one of those little add-ons that just amuse me so. I had to cook some up immediately, and made some pilaf.



HOW TO MAKE PILAF

2 c basmati rice
3 c water
1/2 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
any spices, such as cardamom, bay leaves, masala, saffron
soaked raisins
3 tbsp ghee

-melt some ghee in a pot
-saute onions, garlic, dry spices (not saffron)
-add rice, and fry until translucent
-add water (and saffron/raisins, if using), bring to boil, simmer at medium for 15 min
-let stand 10 min
-fluff rice with a fork
-add salt to taste

Just remember that basmati rice should always be cooked in the ratio 2rice:3water by volume.

0 comments: